PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Oct. 30, 2013) – The Rutgers field hockey team heads into its final weekend of play, hosting BIG EAST foe Old Dominion at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Friday, Nov. 1 at 1 p.m. before traveling to Lewisburg, Pa., to take on Bucknell on Sunday, Nov. 3 at 2 p.m.
Old Dominion Notes
- The Monarchs hold an 11-6 record this season, playing some of the top teams in the nation and holding a No. 5 national ranking. ODU is 5-1 in BIG EAST play, with its only loss coming to Louisville, 3-2 (OT) on Sept. 20.
- The squad currently holds a 10-game winning streak, outscoring its opponent 41-6 in that span. Most recently, ODU downed No. 2 UNC, 3-2 (OT) on Oct. 27 and No. 4 UConn, 5-0, on Oct. 25.
- Old Dominion ranks 18th in the country with a scoring margin of 1.39 and 20th in the nation with 2.29 assists per game and a 1.45 GAA through games of Oct. 27.
- Offensively, Rosario Villagra ranks third nationally in assists per game (0.76), ninth in points per game (2.41) and 16th in goals per game (0.82) through games of Oct. 27.
- Defensively, GK Megan Hept is 21st in the country in goals against average (1.45 per game).
- Andrew Griffiths is in his first season as the head coach.
Rutgers is 0-3 all-time against the Monarchs. The teams last played in 2000.
- The Bison hold a 7-9 record this season with a 4-2 mark in the Patriot League. They have lost four in a row, most recently falling, 1-0, to American on Oct. 26. The squad’s last victory came against Holy Cross, 7-0, on Oct. 12.
- Rachel Misko leads Bucknell with 17 points on eight goals and one assist.
- On defense, GK Erica Perrine holds a 1.86 GAA this season.
- Jeremy Cook is in his sixth season as the head coach.
The Scarlet Knights have never lost to Bucknell, holding a 5-0 record all-time. Last season, RU picked up a 4-3 overtime victory over the Bison.
Last Time Out
The Rutgers field hockey team surrendered a 3-0 loss to BIG EAST foe Providence on Oct. 25 at the Bauer Track and Field Complex. The Scarlet Knights held an 8-7 advantage in penalty corners.
On the Record
With a 9-7 record and two games remaining this season, Rutgers has secured at least a .500 record at season’s end for the first time since the 2008 team went 14-6.
RU has faced seven ranked opponents this season. The Scarlet Knights have played No. 19 Boston College (Aug. 31), No. 10 Duke (Sept. 8), No. 13 Albany (Sept. 15), No. 3 UConn (Sept. 22), No. 17 Temple, No. 16 Drexel (Oct. 6) and No. 17 Louisville (Oct. 19). The squad will face its eighth ranked opponent in No. 5 Old Dominion on Nov. 1.
Rutgers in the NCAA
RU ranked 20th in the nation in penalty corners per game (7.75) and shutouts per game (0.25) through games of Oct. 27. Senior GK Sarah Stuby (Roxbury, N.J.) was 18th in the country with a .753 save percentage through Oct. 27.
Rutgers in the BIG EAST
The Scarlet Knights were at the top the BIG EAST in penalty corners, sitting fourth with 7.75 per game. Senior GK Sarah Stuby (Roxbury, N.J.) is third in the league with a .753 save percentage through Oct. 27.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers field hockey, follow the program on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/RUFieldHockey), Twitter (@RUFieldHockey) and Instagram (@rutgersfieldhockey). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.