PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 14, 2013) – The Rutgers men’s soccer team begins a three-game homestand on Tuesday night hosting Bucknell in its final non-conference contest on Tuesday night at Yurcak Field at 7 p.m.
* Tuesday’s game with Bucknell will be available on RVision presented by AT&T with Danny Breslauer and Kyle Franco on the call.
* The Scarlet Knights enter Tuesday’s contest sporting a 5-7-1 overall record and 2-3-0 mark in the AAC. RU fell in its last two outings taking on a pair of nationally-ranked conference foes. Rutgers suffered a 1-0 setback on a penalty kick at No. 15 UConn last Wednesday and fell 3-1 at No. 11 Louisville last Saturday.
* Redshirt sophomore Thomas O’Rourke captured RU’s lone goal against the Cardinals last Saturday. O’Rourke put away the goal on a header from inside the left post off a free kick by sophomore Mael Corboz.
* Mael Corboz continues to lead the Scarlet Knights with 15 points (5G, 5A) followed by senior forward Kene Eze with 10 points (4G, 2A). In all, 11 Scarlet Knights have logged points on the season.
* Goalkeeper David Greczek made a career-high seven saves at Louisville. He holds a 1.40 goals against average and .776 save percentage along with a trio of shutouts.
* The Scarlet Knights are heading into the final stretch of the regular season with four games remaining including Tuesday’s meeting with the Bison. Following Tuesday night’s game, RU hosts, South Florida on Saturday, Oct. 19th for Senior Day and Temple on Wednesday Oct. 23 in the home regular season finale.
Head over to the Rutgers men’s soccer facebook page to see information for a special promotion for Tuesday night’s game. Also don’t forget to “like” the page.
ABOUT THE BISON
Bucknell comes to Yurcak Field with a 7-3-1 overall mark and 2-1-1 record in Patriot League play. The Bison have yet to lose an away game have gone 4-0-1 to date in road games.
Sophomore forward Jesse Klug leads the Bison with 12 points stemming from six goals. Next on the stat sheet is sophomore midfielder Chris Thorsheim with 11 points (5G, 1A).
In net, sophomore Mike Lansing holds a 0.68 goals against average and .870 save percentage. He has collected six shutouts on the season.
The Scarlet Knights lead the all-time series with the Bison 14-12-2. RU has won the last seven straight meetings and 10 of the last 11. The two squads last met on the pitch back in 2005.
LAST TIME VS. BUCKNELL
Scott Gahagan enjoyed a breakout offensive performance, scoring a goal and assisting on another in the second half to lead Rutgers to a 3-1 victory over Bucknell back on October 12, 2005.
With the game tied at 1-1 in the 63rd minute, Gahagan was in an opportunistic position following a shot from Chris Moore. Moore streaked towards the goal, drawing goalkeeper Adam Edwards out of the box. Moore’s shot was blocked, but Gahagan was waiting at the door step and flicked the shot in, notching his first points of the year.
Needing an important insurance goal in the final minutes of regulation, Gahagan dribbled into the box and left the ball for Adam Sternberger, who rocketed a shot past Bucknell goalie Adam Edwards with 35 seconds left. It was Sternberger’s second goal of the season, and provided RU with its final two-goal margin of victory.
A LOOK AT CONFERENCE STATS
As a team, the Scarlet Knights are tied for second in the American goals (16) and fourth in points (44).
Individually, sophomore midfielder Mael Corboz is tied for the league lead in points (15), tied for the second in goals (5) and in a three-way tie for second in assists (5). Meanwhile senior forward Kene Eze is tied for fifth in both points (10) and goals (4).
Freshman goalkeeper David Greczek leads all AAC netiminders with 59 saves, averaging 4.54 per game. He has also logged three shutouts this season.
Rutgers is 4-3-0 at home this season, including a 3-2-0 mark in non-conferences games at Yurcak Field in 2013. RU picked up a 1-0 shutout over Cincinnati in their last home game that had snapped a two-game skid on its home turf.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersMensSoccer) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUMensSoccer) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.