College Station, Texas (September 2, 2012) – The No. 16 Rutgers women’s soccer team (5-1) earned a 2-0 win over Sam Houston State (2-4) Sunday afternoon at Ellis Field. Freshman forward Rachel Cole (Teaneck, N.J.) broke through in the 62nd minute for her first career score and the game winner.
The Scarlet Knights unleashed a strong offensive attack in the second half that led to the first RU score. Redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada) crossed the ball from the right corner of the six-yard box to Cole in the center of the field. The freshman booted it from six yards out, burying it into the back of the net.
Sophomore midfielder Brielle Buis (Franklin Lakes, N.J.) added a second goal in the 87th minute. Senior Maura McLaughlin (Robbinsville, N.J.) passed to Buis from the left corner of the goal box, where the midfielder was able to beat SHSU goalkeeper Michele McCullough.
Rutgers outshot Sam Houston State by a 21-9 mark, including 15-5 in the second half. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Emmy Simpkins (Concord, N.C.) earned the win for the Scarlet Knights, making three saves in the effort.
The Scarlet Knights peppered the Bearkats early, taking four shots over the first 21 minutes. Redshirt senior Tricia DiPaolo (Sparta, N.J.) nearly broke through in the 21st minute, but a SHSU defender cleared the ball off the line.
Simpkins and the RU defense withstood a Sam Houston State attack in the 36th minute. After a Kayla Anderson shot hit the crossbar, Simpkins made a save on a header shot by Hilary Ackerman.
Rutgers returns to Yurcak Field on Friday, Sept. 7 to take on Stony Brook at 7 p.m. before heading to Dartmouth on Sunday, Sept. 9.
* Rachel Cole and Brielle Buis were named to the Texas A&M Invitational All-Tournament team. They become the first Scarlet Knights to be named to an a-tournament team since Ashley Jones and Jen Anzivino in 2009.
* Rutgers moves to 4-0 when the match is knotted 0-0 at the half.
* Rachel Cole and Brielle Buis each scored their first career goal.
* Through six games, RU head coach Glenn Crooks has used six different starting lineups.
* Emmy Simpkins earned the start and the win for RU. The redshirt senior moves to 1-1 on the season.
* Jonelle Filigno earned her first assist of the season. The forward has 11 points through six games this season and 36 points for her career.
* It marked the first point for Maura McLaughlin this season and second of her career.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.