PISCATAWAY, N.J. (September 7, 2012) – Behind goals from redshirt senior April Price (Mechanicsville, Va.) and junior Maria Gerew (Toms River, N.J.), No. 21 Rutgers women’s soccer (6-1) defeated Stony Brook, 2-0, Friday night at Yurcak Field.
“We definitely had the run of the game tonight. All year, we have been OK in the first half and have come back in the second half and gotten it done,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “At this point, if it always results in a victory, I am not going to be overly concerned with that.”
This marks the best start for RU since 2009, when the squad began the year 8-1-1. Stony Brook drops to 4-2-1, as the Scarlet Knights halt the Seawolves’ five-match unbeaten streak.
Rutgers broke through in the 72nd minute, as freshman forward Rachel Cole (Teaneck, N.J.) fought through two defenders to feed a streaking Price down the left sideline. Price gathered the ball, drilling it into the bottom right of the net for her first score of the season.
Gerew added the insurance goal in the 88th minute off a rebounded shot from redshirt junior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, ON, Canada). On a breakaway, SBU netminder Ashley Castanio dove backwards to push the Filigno’s shot away from the net, but Gerew was there for the put-back.
Freshman midfielder Erica Skroski (Galloway, N.J.) had the best opportunity in the first half, going one-on-one with a SBU defender down the left sideline. Skroski booted the ball towards the frame but Castanio made a diving save for the Seawolves.
Redshirt senior goalkeeper Emmy Simpkins (Concord, N.C.) saved a goal in the early stages of the second half, as Stony Brook forward Larissa Nysch threatened, streaking into the box. Simpkins came out diving to block Nysch’s path and clearing the ball out of danger.
Rutgers heads to Hanover, N.H. for a Sunday matchup against Ivy League opponent Dartmouth. Time for the contest is set for 4:30 p.m.
* The score marked April Price’s first since October 3, 2010 vs. Providence College.
* The last six goals have been scored by six different Scarlet Knights.
* Rutgers moves to 5-0 when the match is knotted 0-0 at the half.
* This marks the best start since 2009, when RU began the year with an 8-1-1 record.
* Through seven games, RU head coach Glenn Crooks has used seven different starting lineups.
* Emmy Simpkins earned the start and the win for RU. The redshirt senior moves to 2-1 on the season with two shutouts.
* It was Maria Gerew’s first score since Sept. 16, 2011 vs. Villanova. It marked the second of her career
* Jonelle Filigno earned her second assist of the season. The forward has 12 points through seven games this season and 37 points for her career.
* With one goal and one assist, Rachel Cole ranks third on the team with three points.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates on head women’s soccer coach Glenn Crooks, please follow @RUSoccer. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.