PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 13, 2013) – A second-minute goal by sophomore Erica Skroski (Galloway, N.J.) was all the Rutgers women’s soccer team needed to take down visiting SMU Sunday afternoon at Yurcak Field.
The Scarlet Knights (11-2-1, 4-1 AAC) improved to 9-0 at home this season, matching the highest single-season home win total in program history.
“It was an early goal,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “She’s been close and I’ve been talking to her lately about getting one on a set piece. She scored a couple of goals in training the other day which were more of the direct head ball variety which is what I was expecting. But still it was a fantastic finish and she played a great game at the back, I’m proud of everyone.”
Redshirt senior Jess Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) made three saves in the shutout win, none bigger than a stuff in the 89th minute on the final Mustangs (7-7, 2-4 AAC) offensive of the match.
RU allowed just three second-half shots in the victory, as Skroski’s goal proved to be the difference maker.
A corner kick sent in by junior Amy Pietrangelo (Laval, Quebec, Canada) in the second minute of action bounced around in the box before Skroski charged in and took a shot from five yards out.
Skroski booted the ball with her right foot dead on net, giving RU an early 1-0 lead it would not relinquish.
Redshirt senior Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, Canada) and SMU’s Gabrielle Patrucelli both received red cards in the 47th minute of action.
The Scarlet Knights head to the Sunshine State on Friday, Oct. 18 to take on No. 19/ 20 UCF on the road. RU will make the short trip to take on USF on Sunday, Oct. 18 before returning to Piscataway.
- The Scarlet Knights improved to 9-0 at home this season with the win. The squad tied the single-season home wins record.
- Skroski scored her first career goal in the second minute.
- With 17 shots against the Mustangs, RU has now recorded 15 shots or more in seven of its last nine matches.
- The Scarlet Knights recorded their seventh shutout of the season against SMU. It is the second time this season the squad recorded shutouts in consecutive home matches (Aug. 30 and Sept. 1).
- The RU defense surrendered just eight shots for the second consecutive match.
- The Scarlet Knights recorded exactly five shots on goal for the fourth consecutive match.
- Rutgers recorded one goal for the seventh time this season. RU is 5-1-1 when scoring just one goal in 2013.
- The Scarlet Knights are 7-0-1 this season in matches decided by one goal or less.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebmook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers women’s soccer, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoccer) and Instagram (@ruwsoccer). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.