PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Oct. 24, 2013) – In a hard-fought match on the Rutgers women’s soccer team’s “Pink Night,” the Scarlet Knights were edged, 2-1, by UConn at Yurcak Field. UConn took a 2-1 lead in the 81st minute and held RU off the board late to secure the victory.
“It was a very difficult loss,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “We created enough opportunities and it’s unfortunate that we weren’t able to put in another one having the amount of chances that we had. We’ve made it difficult for ourselves but hopefully we can position ourselves after the Temple game to be at home for the tournament.”
Prior to the match, Crooks, Director of Intercollegiate Athletic Julie Hermann and the rest of the program helped honor the Vander Zee family at midfield. The Vander Zees made a generous contribution to the program, allowing Rutgers women’s soccer to construct and play on a new practice field behind Yurcak Field.
The match also represented “Pink Night,” as the Scarlet Knights donned all pink uniforms to raise awareness for breast cancer.
The victory propelled the Huskies to third place in the conference standings, while the Scarlet Knights currently hold the fourth and final first-round bye for the American Athletic Conference Tournament, which begins next week. The updated conference standings are listed below:
1. UCF 7-0-1 14-2-2 22 Defeated Houston, 4-0. Next up: SMU on Sunday, Oct. 27.
2. Louisville 7-1 11-4-1 21 Final match: Friday, Oct. 25 against Cincinnati
3. UConn 5-3 11-7 15 Defeated RU, 2-1. Next up: Memphis on Sunday, Oct. 27.
4. Rutgers 4-3-1 11-4-2 13 Fell, 2-1, to UConn. Next up: Temple on Sunday, Oct. 27.
5. Cincinnati 4-3-1 8-9-1 13 Final match: Friday, Oct. 25 against Louisville
6. USF 3-3-2 8-4-4 11 Tied SMU, 0-0. Next up: Houston on Sunday, Oct. 27.
7. SMU 3-4-1 8-7 7 Tied USF, 0-0. Next up: Louisville on Sunday, Oct. 27.
8. Memphis 3-5 10-7 9 Defeated Temple, 3-0. Next up: UConn on Sunday, Oct. 27.
9. Temple 1-7 6-10-1 3 Fell to Memphis, 3-0. Next up: Rutgers on Sunday Oct. 27.
10. Houston 0-7 1-10-3 0 Lost, 4-0, to UCF. Next up: USF on Sunday, Oct. 27.
Friday night’s match was highly contested, as the Huskies narrowly outshot RU, 17-14. The Scarlet Knights got on the board just before the end of the first half, as sophomore Brianne Reed (Tinton Falls, N.J.) struck in a rebound for her first career goal off an RU corner kick with :30 seconds left in the period.
Freshman Tori Prager (Mount Laurel, N.J.) tallied her first career points in the match, earning the assist on the Reed goal.
UConn got on the board early on, taking a 1-0 lead in the fifth minute of play. Rachel Hill tallied her 11th goal of the season as she broke through the RU backline, striking the ball off the fingers of redshirt senior Jess Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) and into the net.
Janosz made six saves in the loss. Her record falls to 11-4-2 this season. She maintains a 1.18 goals against average (GAA) and .729 save percentage through 17 matches.
The Scarlet Knights will play their final match of the regular season on Sunday, Oct. 27 at Yurcak Field. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m., as the match represents “Senior Day.”
The team will honor its four seniors – Tricia DiPaolo (Sparta, N.J.), Jonelle Filigno (Mississauga, Canada), Maria Gerew (Toms River, N.J.) and redshirt senior Jess Janosz (Ringwood, N.J.) – prior to the match.
- After not recording a point in her career, Reed has now tallied at least one in her last two matches.
- UConn improved to 16-2-4 against Rutgers all-time.
- RU’s loss to UConn was its first at home this season. With one game-remaining against Temple on Sunday, Oct. 27, the Scarlet Knights can break the single season home wins record with a victory.
- Prager’s assist earned her the first points of her career.
- RU fell to 7-2-2 this season in games decided by one goal or less.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers women’s soccer, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoccer). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.