SAN LUIS OBISPO, CALIF. (March, 8, 2013) – The Rutgers softball team dropped its opening two contests Friday afternoon at the Mustang Classic, falling, 3-2, to Cal Poly and, 4-1, to Sacramento State in a pair of close contests at Bob Janssen Field.
RU (6-6) scored the first runs of both games, but a pair comebacks by its California opponents led to the Scarlet Knights’ first two-game skid since their first two games of the season against Boise State and Iowa State (2/15/13).
Sophomore Alyssa Landrith (Vacaville, Calif.) took the loss in both contests for the Scarlet Knights. She started RU’s first game of the day and entered in relief of senior righthander Abbey Houston (New Egypt, N.J.) against the Mustangs.
Houston went 3.1 innings, allowing three hits and two earned runs in the no-decision. Landrith threw for 2.2 innings against Cal Poly, allowing three hits.
Freshman Jordan Whitley (Clayton, Del.) got things going for RU to start the seventh inning, as the rookie reached base on an error while pinch hitting for senior catcher Kaci Madden (Saratoga, N.Y.).
Senior shortstop Ashley Bragg (Middletown, Del.) followed Whitley up with double two batters later, giving RU a second and third opportunity with one out. But Cal Poly’s Chloe Wurst bore down for the Mustangs, striking out two of the next three hitters to earn Cal Poly’s first home win of the season.
Cal Poly took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning off of one hit and one error. Celina Lafrades tied the score at, 2-2, after Landrith took over for Houston two batters earlier. Lafrades went on to steal second during the following at-bat, forcing Madden into an errant throw. The error allowed another run to cross, giving the Mustangs their first lead of the contest.
Cal Poly scored its first run of the contest in the second inning to cut the RU lead in half, 2-1. The Mustangs opened the inning with a single, before Cami Brown slapped one up the middle for an RBI.
A two-run blast by sophomore third baseman Ashley Alden (Ivyland, Pa.) gave RU an early, 2-0 lead at Bob Janssen Field. Alden got to work quickly in her first at-bat, taking Wurst’s first offering deep to right center for her second homer of the season.
The Rutgers softball team fell, 4-1, to Sacramento State in its first game at the Mustang Classic. The Scarlet Knights took an early lead in the contest, but a three-run seventh inning by the Hornets after they tied it an inning earlier allowed Sac State to take the victory.
Landrith threw a complete game for the fourth straight contest, allowing four runs off eight hits.
Sacramento State’s Caitlin Brooks allowed just four hits in her complete-game outing, recording a 1-2-3 inning in the bottom of the seventh to seal the win.
The Hornets recorded a three-run seventh inning to take a 4-1 lead. Alyssa Vanderdrink opened the inning with a single for Sac State, which would score two runs three batters later off of a triple by Emily McCormick. The Hornets scored their third run of the inning off an infield single to bump their advantage to 4-1.
Rutgers got on the board in the third inning, after junior outfielder Loren Williams (Los Angeles, Calif.) singled up the middle with one out. She stole second base a batter later and eventually scored on a pass ball to give RU a 1-0 lead.
The Scarlet Knights are back in action tomorrow for another doubleheader, playing Northern Illinois (9 a.m.) and Nevada (11:30 a.m.) at Bob Janssen Field. RU is 0-1 all-time against Northern Illinois, as the squad will take on Nevada for the first time in school history.
- RU fell to 5-3 in 2013 when scoring first.
- Landrith dropped to 4-4 for the season after her two outings Friday afternoon. She maintains a 1.50 ERA this season, despite allowing four earned runs.
- It was RU’S first ever meetings with Sacramento State and Cal Poly.
- Alden went a combined 2-5 on the afternoon, hitting a double and a home run while recording two RBIs.
- Whitley earned her 11th and 12th at-bats of the season, reaching on an error in the seventh inning against Cal Poly.
- With a two-run blast in the first inning against Cal Poly, Alden bumped her RBI total to seven on the season. The home run was her second of 2013.
- Alden’s double in the bottom of the sixth inning was her first of the season.
- Williams scored her 11th run of the season against Sacramento State. She leads RU in the category.
- Howard scored her sixth run of the season against Cal Poly. She also tied her career high in walks (two) against the Mustangs.
- Bragg hit her fourth double of the season against Cal Poly, tying her for the team lead.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers softball, follow the program on Twitter (@RUSoftball). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.