NEW ORLEANS (March 19, 2014) – The Rutgers women’s tennis team (9-4) concluded its three-match spring break trip with a dominant 6-1 victory over Tulane (4-13) Wednesday afternoon. The Scarlet Knights went 2-1 over the week, taking down Southern on Sunday, March 16 in addition to their victory over Tulane, while falling to Southeastern Louisiana yesterday.
RU’s loss yesterday snapped a five-match winning streak, which stretched from Feb. 23-March 16. The Scarlet Knights are now winners of six of their last seven.
Rutgers captured the doubles point with a victory at No. 2, as rookie Farris Cunningham (Houston, Texas) and sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) teamed up to take down Emily Dvorak and Margaux Hyman, 8-4. Despite its loss at No. 1 doubles, RU secured the point as the squad earned a win at No. 3 by default.
In singles, senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) battled Ipek Birol to a 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 victory at the No. 1 slot. After a loss at No. 2, sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) was able to get the Scarlet Knights back in the win column by easily defeating Meredith Maltby, 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 3 singles matchup.
At No. 4, senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) handily defeated her opponent, Hyman, 6-2, 6-3. Junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) followed with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Dvorak at No. 5, while Cunningham picked up the final singles point for Rutgers by default.
Rutgers will host its first match of the season at the RU Tennis Complex on Friday, March 28, as the squad welcomes Temple “To the Banks” at 1 p.m.
Rutgers 6, Tulane 1
1. Ipek Birol/Jacqui Katz (TLN) def. Lindsey Kayati/Vanessa Petrini (RU) 8-2
2. Farris Cunninghmam/Gina Li (RU) def. Emily Dvorak/Margaux Hyman (TLN) 8-4
3. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU) def. No player/No player (TLN), by def.
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Ipek Birol (TLN) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
2. Jacqui Katz (TLN) def. Gina Li (RU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-3
3. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Meredith Maltby (TLN) 6-0, 6-2
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Margaux Hyman (TLN) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Emily Dvorak (TLN) 6-3, 6-4
6. Farris Cunninghmam (RU) def. No player (TLN), by def.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.