STORRS, CONN. (April 3, 2014) – The Rutgers tennis team (12-4, 3-1 AAC) closed out the conference portion of its 2014 regular season schedule with a 6-1 victory over UConn (5-11, 0-4 AAC) Thursday evening on the road. RU has now won four-straight matches and nine of its last 10.
“Our team looked strong and confident in both singles and doubles,” said assistant coach Hilary Ritchie. “We really executed our strategy well and looked like a team ready to finish the season on a strong note.”
RU began the day by securing the doubles point, winning two of the three matchups. The team went on to capture five of the six singles matches for the victory.
At No. 1 doubles, senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini (Stamford, Conn.) and sophomore Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) downed UConn’s Srna Stosljevic and Lucy Nutting, 8-5. After dropping the No. 2 match, the tandem of junior Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.) and sophomore Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) captured the doubles point for RU with an 8-2 win over Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulo at No. 3.
In singles play, the Scarlet Knights fell in the No. 1 match, but rebounded by sweeping the next five.
Sophomore Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) represented RU at the No.2 slot, and picked up a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Emma Alderman.
Kayati picked up her team-leading 12th singles win at No. 3, downing Maxene Weinberg by identical scores of 6-3, 6-3. Senior co-captain Stefania Balasa (East Brunswick, N.J.) followed at No. 4 singles, taking down Nutting, 6-4, 6-2.
At No 5, Balsamo faced a battle in the first set against Learmonth, winning 7-6 (4) in the tiebreaker, and ultimately captured a decisive 6-1 victory in the second frame.
Zein closed out singles play for Rutgers at No. 6, defeating Shea Flanagan, 6-0, 6-1.
The Scarlet Knights conclude their road slate against in-state rival Seton Hall on Tuesday, April 8 in South Orange, N.J. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
Rutgers 6, UConn 1
1. Vanessa Petrini/Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Srna Stosljevic/Lucy Nutting (UCONN), 8-5
2. Maxene Weinberg /Emma Alderman (UCONN) def. Gina Li/Farris Cunningham (RU), 8-6
3. Lindsay Balsamo/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Jennifer Learmonth/Marie Gargiulo (UCONN), 8-2
1. Srna Stosljevic (UCONN) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU), 0-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1)
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Emma Alderman (UCONN), 6-2, 6-2
3. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Maxene Weinberg (UCONN), 6-3, 6-3
4. Stefania Balasa (RU) def. Lucy Nutting (UCONN), 6-4, 6-2
5. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Jennifer Learmonth (UCONN), 7-6 (4), 6-1
6. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Shea Flanagan (UCONN), 6-0, 6-1
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter, (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding women’s tennis, follow the program on Twitter @RUwtennis. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.