Orlando, Fla. (March 22, 2014) – It was a quick turnaround for several members of the Rutgers women’s outdoor track and field team, as the Scarlet Knights won titles in the long jump, javelin and 4x400 relay along with nine ECAC qualifying marks at the UCF Black & Gold Challenge, right after participating at the Bulls Invitational yesterday.
In the javelin, senior Elaina Mezzasalma (Morganville, N.J.) made it back-to-back titles on the weekend with a first place throw of 42.17m, while redshirt senior Asha Ruth (Bowie, Md.) leaped to 6.11m in the long jump for the top spot in the event.
Joining Ruth in earning an ECAC qualifying mark in the long jump was junior Gabrielle Farquharson (Williamstown, N.J.), who finished in second at 5.91m.
Also bringing home a title was the 4x400 relay team. The team of junior Christina Dibernardo (Woodbury, N.Y.), sophomore Alayna Famble (Stockbridge, Ga.), freshman Nicole Nicholas (Jersey City, N.J.) and junior Jillian Grant (Matawan, N.J.) clocked in at 46.88, an ECAC qualifying time.
In the triple jump, freshman Bryanna Grant (Cranford, N.J.) was an ECAC qualifier with her second place distance of 12.10m., bettering her result from yesterday’s Bulls Invite by .47m.
RU captured four other ECAC times at the meet. Senior Tylia Gillon (New Egypt, N.J.) finished with a time of 12.03 in the 100m and placed fifth, while Ruth placed third in the 200m in 24.10 with teammate Farquharson in sixth in 24.45. Ruth and Gillon also joined Famble and senior Corryn Hurrington (Bowie, Md.) with a fourth place result in the 4x100 with a time of 46.88.
The Rutgers women’s outdoor track and field team returns to action at the Fred Hardy Invitational in Richmond, Va. beginning on Friday, March. 28.
UCF Black & Gold Challenge Results
5. Tylia Gillon – 12.03 (ECAC Qualifier)
4. Kristen Bradley – 16.63
4. Asha Ruth – 24.10 (ECAC Qualifier)
6. Gabrielle Farquharson – 24.45 (ECAC Qualifier)
9. Tylia Gillon – 24.97
13. Ekene Ugboaja – 25.51
15. Corryn Hurrington – 25.76
18. Alayna Famble – 25.99
6. Nicole Nicholas – 57.66
8. Christina Dibernardo – 57.74
11. Jillian Grant – 59.29
15. Victoria Clark – 1:02.11
5. Allison Payenski – 2:18.25
4. Rutgers (Gillon, Famble, Hurrington, Grant) – 46.88 (ECAC Qualifier)
1. Rutgers (Dibernardo, Famble, Nicholas, Farquharson) – 3:48.94 (ECAC Qualifier)
1. Elaina Mezzasalma – 42.17m/138’4” (ECAC Qualifier)
1. Asha Ruth – 6.11m/20’ ½” (ECAC Qualifier)
2. Gabrielle Farquharson – 5.91m/19’4 ¾” (ECAC Qualifier)
4. Ekene Ugboaja – 5.70m/18’8 ½”
5. Bryanna Grant –5.25m/17’2 ¾”
6. Kristen Bradley - 4.99m/16’4 ½”
2. Bryanna Grant – 12.10m/39’8 ½” (ECAC Qualifier)
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersWomensTF) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and www.ScarletKnights.com