HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. –
No. 2 Anthony Ashnault
(149), No. 2 Nick Suriano
(133) and Joseph Grello
(174) all pinned as No. 23 Rutgers wrestling cruised to a 40-3 victory over Hofstra on Friday night in Hempstead, New York. With the win, head coach Scott Goodale
tied John Sacchi for the all-time program mark with 166 career wins.
The Scarlet Knights won nine of their 10 bouts at the David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Center, which included three falls, a major decision from Willie Scott
(184), four decisions and a win by forfeit to secure their 15th
win all-time over the Pride.
"We obviously weren't happy with how we wrestled last weekend, so we had a mantra all week to wrestle really hard and to score," Goodale said. "We saw a lot of that for the most part, so overall we were really prepared and came out strong. Now we get a little bit of a break before Vegas."
• Goodale now owns a 166-63-1 mark in 12 seasons as head coach, tied with John Sacchi for the most all-time at Rutgers. Goodale can take sole possession for the most wins in program history with a win over Rider next month at the RAC.
• Ashnault now owns 97 career wins, good for 18th
all-time at Rutgers. With three more victories, Ashnault will become the 17th
wrestler in program history to join the 100-win club.
• Ashnault leads the team in falls (5) and team points (35) after his second-period pin on Hofstra's Ryan Burkert. The graduate student now has 17 falls during his time at Rutgers.
• Suriano secured his third fall of the season and has now secured 32 team points in his first six matches.
• In RU's first six duals of the season, Ashnault and Suriano have combine for a perfect 12-0 mark with eight falls, two major decisions, a tech fall and a win by forfeit, good for 67 team points.
• Redshirt junior Peter Lipari
(141) made his first dual appearance at Rutgers, earning a 6-2 decision.
• Rutgers has now won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the two programs.
How it Happened
• The match started at 125 pounds, as sophomore Shane Metzler
opened the night with a first-period takedown for a 2-0 lead on Dylan Ryder. From there, Metzler secured his fourth win of the season with a late takedown in the third period for a 5-3 win. It was Metzler's third consecutive win after collecting victories against Appalachian State and Utah Valley last weekend at the 2018 Journeymen duals.
• Suriano followed with a first-period pin on Trent Olsen, needing just 2:11 for the fall.
• After Lipari's 6-2 decision, Ashnault landed five takedowns on Burkert before pinning his foe at the 3:59 mark in the match.
• Hofstra forfeited its match at 157 pounds against No. 15 John Van Brill
, giving RU a 24-0 lead at intermission.
• Freshman Stephan Glasgow
(165) continued the momentum out of the intermission with a strong 5-3 decision over Ricky Stamm, using two takedowns for his fifth win of the year.
• Grello worked his third fall of the season and fastest so far with a 1:03 pin on Sage Heller. Scott followed with a 13-4 major decision over Trey Rogers, highlighted by a four-point near fall in the first period.
• Redshirt junior Christian Colucci
(HWT) closed out the bout with a 3-1 decision over Omar Haddad.
No. 23 Rutgers 40, Hofstra 3
Match started at 125 Pounds
125: Shane Metzler
(RU) dec. over Dylan Ryder (HOF), 5-3, Rutgers leads, 3-0
No. 3/2/5 Nick Suriano
(RU) fall over Trent Olsen (HOF) (2:11), Rutgers leads, 9-0
141: Peter Lipari
(RU) dec. over Garrett Lambert (HOF), 6-2, Rutgers leads, 12-0
No. 2/3/3 Anthony Ashnault
(RU) fall over Ryan Burkert (HOF) (3:59), Rutgers leads, 18-0
No. 15/19/13 John Van Brill
(RU) win by forfeit, Rutgers leads, 24-0
165: Stephan Glasgow
(RU) dec. over Ricky Stamm (HOF), 5-3, Rutgers leads, 27-0
174: Joseph Grello
(RU) fall over Sage Heller (HOF) (1:03), Rutgers leads, 33-0
184: Willie Scott
(RU) MD over Trey Rogers (HOF), 13-4, Rutgers leads, 37-0
Nezar Haddad (HOF) dec. over Max Wright
(RU), 6-4, Rutgers leads, 37-3
HWT: Christian Colucci
(RU) dec. over Omar Haddad (HOF), 3-1, Rutgers wins, 40-3
Rutgers will close out the month at the Cliff Keen Invitational out in Las Vegas from Nov. 30-Dec. 1.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (/RutgersAthletics
) and Twitter (@RUAthletics
) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers wrestling, follow the program on Twitter (@RUWrestling
) and Instagram (@RUWrestling
). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com
. For additional updates, please download the Gameday App